Why AERA is like Ross Dress for Less
I've had an exceptionally interesting day. After feeling like a zombie for the better part of the week, I've entered a new phase of motivation. I've stopped feeling sorry for myself and pitying my perpetual state of exhaustion, and am instead envisioning myself as a a productive, "get-things-done" kind of gal. I owe this new positive mindset to a few things.
First, I've started meditating. I know! So new-agey! So not pragmatic me! But having a few key goals for the day (which I think about and which help me through the day) has been helpful in keeping me focused on what needs to get done, and not focused on factors (like my exhaustion) which could keep me from doing them.
Second, I've had a few conversations with Kris and Bronwyn about personal narratives. This is sort of like meditation, in a way. It's also a topic covered in Stephen Gilbert's "Stumbling on Happiness." Basically, it's kind of a circular reasoning that goes something like this: if you want to be a particular type of person, you should envision yourself that way (by narrating your life to others that way), and then you will become that type of person. Apparently having some sort of personal narrative is a huge predictor of happiness.
After a long morning (and part of the afternoon) of Not Focusing, I employed my new techniques of meditative goal-setting and personal narration. I then attacked some work. I multi-tasked like a madwoman. I pumped two breasts while reviewing three proposals for the 2009 American Education Research Association (AERA) conference.
AERA is a lot like Ross Dress for Less. You can find quality stuff, but you have to dig through a ton of crap to get to it. I've seen the worst presentations ever at AERA (on, like, postmodern French women's literature from the 19th century or something like that), and some of the most enlightening/amazing presentations there (like, brilliant panels on cost function estimation or closing the achievement gap). It's fascinating.
I just reviewed three proposals for the Fiscal Issues SIG. One was terrible. One was so-so. And the third renewed my faith in research! Amazing!
And then I realized I was sitting on a sheet that Saya pooped on. I need to add "being aware of surroundings" to my daily goals.
First, I've started meditating. I know! So new-agey! So not pragmatic me! But having a few key goals for the day (which I think about and which help me through the day) has been helpful in keeping me focused on what needs to get done, and not focused on factors (like my exhaustion) which could keep me from doing them.
Second, I've had a few conversations with Kris and Bronwyn about personal narratives. This is sort of like meditation, in a way. It's also a topic covered in Stephen Gilbert's "Stumbling on Happiness." Basically, it's kind of a circular reasoning that goes something like this: if you want to be a particular type of person, you should envision yourself that way (by narrating your life to others that way), and then you will become that type of person. Apparently having some sort of personal narrative is a huge predictor of happiness.
After a long morning (and part of the afternoon) of Not Focusing, I employed my new techniques of meditative goal-setting and personal narration. I then attacked some work. I multi-tasked like a madwoman. I pumped two breasts while reviewing three proposals for the 2009 American Education Research Association (AERA) conference.
AERA is a lot like Ross Dress for Less. You can find quality stuff, but you have to dig through a ton of crap to get to it. I've seen the worst presentations ever at AERA (on, like, postmodern French women's literature from the 19th century or something like that), and some of the most enlightening/amazing presentations there (like, brilliant panels on cost function estimation or closing the achievement gap). It's fascinating.
I just reviewed three proposals for the Fiscal Issues SIG. One was terrible. One was so-so. And the third renewed my faith in research! Amazing!
And then I realized I was sitting on a sheet that Saya pooped on. I need to add "being aware of surroundings" to my daily goals.
Post a Comment