It's My Office and I Can Decorate it Like a Candy Store if I Want To
I've been told by a few of my friends that, when they first met me, I came across to them as overly formal and uber-professional. Huh? It's one of those things that surprises me every time I hear it, because it's so not the image I have of myself. And after getting to know me, I'm sure every impression of formality/professionalism goes out the window.
I think it might be because I do a lot of brow furrowing. Also, I think my normal, neutral face looks kind of sad/angry. I don't know why. When people see me not smiling, they always ask me what's wrong.
In Indiana, I don't want to come across to my colleagues as too formal or unfriendly. My strategy (besides being informal and friendly) is to decorate my office like a candy store. I would love to have an office that looks like a candy store. I have never been good at decorating but recently (since my pregnancy nesting hit full force) I've started to gain an appreciation for good design (hello, Dave and Erin's condo!).
I've also noticed that having an office that you want to spend time in can make all the difference in the world. My gross desk with sharp, exposed corners (that I actually cut my knee on once) doesn't provide me with any incentive to spend more time at work.
On the other hand, I work with a woman whose office has great furniture, one of those oil diffuser things, nice photos on the wall, an electric mini-fountain (I know it sounds tacky, but it makes her office feel more like a zen spa than an office), a jar of chocolates and Enya music playing. Whenever I'm there I'm tempted to ask her if it's okay if I just park myself there and work for the rest of the day.
And wouldn't you love to spend the day in a candy store? Kris doesn't think it's a great idea to have my office look like a candy store. He thinks people will think I'm a weirdo. But my strategy is not unlike that of the witch in Hansel and Gretl. I plan to counter all people's perceptions of me as overly formal by luring them with candy, trapping them, cooking them in my oven, and then eating them. Just kidding about that last part! I would never eat them. What do you think I am, a monster?
I plan to enhance my productivity by creating a work space where I actually enjoy spending time. I'm willing to invest in my own office furniture and decor since I'll be there for at least six years.
Here is my vision. My office will try to look like Miette Confiserie in San Francisco:

I would like to have white bookshelves lining the walls, with a few candy-filled apothecary jars:

A glass-topped desk:

With a cool white desk chair from West Elm:

A fun, comfortable orange couch from IKEA:
With some great pillows from CB2:


A great coffee table from CB2:
With some of these on top:

And one of these underneath:

And a few additional white chairs from West Elm:

Lots of family photos on the walls, along with some Etsy prints by Matte Stephens:

And this great poster from SFGirlByTheBay:

A diffuser from Antica Farmacista:

Magazine butlers from West Elm:

Cute file folders:
This letter carrier to keep mail:
A white mini-fridge to store milk and Diet Coke, and an orange or green coffee station (picture on top of it an espresso machine, espresso grinder, frother, and another apothecary jar to use as a sugar bowl):

and an assortment of whimsical coffee mugs from Lux Delux:

Don't you think this little exercise has already been good for my productivity?
I think it might be because I do a lot of brow furrowing. Also, I think my normal, neutral face looks kind of sad/angry. I don't know why. When people see me not smiling, they always ask me what's wrong.
In Indiana, I don't want to come across to my colleagues as too formal or unfriendly. My strategy (besides being informal and friendly) is to decorate my office like a candy store. I would love to have an office that looks like a candy store. I have never been good at decorating but recently (since my pregnancy nesting hit full force) I've started to gain an appreciation for good design (hello, Dave and Erin's condo!).
I've also noticed that having an office that you want to spend time in can make all the difference in the world. My gross desk with sharp, exposed corners (that I actually cut my knee on once) doesn't provide me with any incentive to spend more time at work.
On the other hand, I work with a woman whose office has great furniture, one of those oil diffuser things, nice photos on the wall, an electric mini-fountain (I know it sounds tacky, but it makes her office feel more like a zen spa than an office), a jar of chocolates and Enya music playing. Whenever I'm there I'm tempted to ask her if it's okay if I just park myself there and work for the rest of the day.
And wouldn't you love to spend the day in a candy store? Kris doesn't think it's a great idea to have my office look like a candy store. He thinks people will think I'm a weirdo. But my strategy is not unlike that of the witch in Hansel and Gretl. I plan to counter all people's perceptions of me as overly formal by luring them with candy, trapping them, cooking them in my oven, and then eating them. Just kidding about that last part! I would never eat them. What do you think I am, a monster?
I plan to enhance my productivity by creating a work space where I actually enjoy spending time. I'm willing to invest in my own office furniture and decor since I'll be there for at least six years.
Here is my vision. My office will try to look like Miette Confiserie in San Francisco:

I would like to have white bookshelves lining the walls, with a few candy-filled apothecary jars:

A glass-topped desk:

With a cool white desk chair from West Elm:

A fun, comfortable orange couch from IKEA:
With some great pillows from CB2:

A great coffee table from CB2:
With some of these on top:
And one of these underneath:

And a few additional white chairs from West Elm:

Lots of family photos on the walls, along with some Etsy prints by Matte Stephens:

And this great poster from SFGirlByTheBay:

A diffuser from Antica Farmacista:

Magazine butlers from West Elm:

Cute file folders:
This letter carrier to keep mail:
A white mini-fridge to store milk and Diet Coke, and an orange or green coffee station (picture on top of it an espresso machine, espresso grinder, frother, and another apothecary jar to use as a sugar bowl):
and an assortment of whimsical coffee mugs from Lux Delux:

Don't you think this little exercise has already been good for my productivity?
Hey! Everyone thinks I'm formal and unfriendly too!! But I don't have an office anymore; Trajan's sleeping there now. I LOVE the decorating ideas!!! What kind of candy are you going to have?!!
Posted by
Mishy |
January 11, 2009 at 1:46 AM
I think Kris is getting a bad rap in this post -- this is kind of like how you told me you were going to knock on your neighbor's door at daybreak, and I told you you were nuts, so you went around at a reasonable hour and then told everyone I was doubting you. That is to say, I think this sounds awesome, and while you may take *inspiration* from a candy store, your office design ideas sound cozy and cute, but would still look more like an office than a candy store, as Kris and I both think it should.
Posted by
Nicole |
January 11, 2009 at 10:37 AM
Holy shit, Ashlyn, how are you going to have space for all that and still have room for the leopard-print chaise longue?
Posted by
Unknown |
January 11, 2009 at 9:02 PM