Nashville
Besides conference happenings, interesting things were seen and eaten in Nashville. While I attended school finance seminars, Kris took Saya to The Parthenon, a life-size replica of the actual Parthenon in Nashville's Centennial Park.

Kind of Vegas-tacky in an awesome way, complete with this tasteful and understated statue (notice Saya's stroller in the foreground for scale?):

There was a lot of chillin' and reading in the hotel room (I love the lighting in this photo):

We had dinner one night at Monell's in historic German town. It was a lovely little house where we were served an unbelievably huge Southern meal - with about 15 different dishes - family style around a large table. I ate so much I felt like I was going to toss my cookies afterward.

The fun part is that you're seated at the table with other diners, and enjoy all the food together. It was fun and interesting, but made for some awkward moments...like when one of our dining companions tried to bond with Kris by asking him whether he likes to hunt and fish "competitively." Kris was like, "no, not really." The guy was like, "Oh. Well, that's what I do for a living." Then we were like "OH!!! COOL!!!" And tried to act excited and interested.
Friday brought dinner with the IREPP crowd at The Mad Platter, where we toasted Imeh's 30th birthday:

And I ate a duck confit salad, lamb prepared two ways (as osso bucco and chops) and this amazing seared pork belly, which was sent to me from pork fat heaven:

Oh, yes.
Speaking of pork fat, Marsha made us some candied bacon ice cream from a David Lebovitz recipe. Oh. My. God. THIS IS HEAVEN. If you think it sounds gross, don't knock it 'til you try it. It's my new most favorite comfort food in the world...salty, sweet, crunchy, creamy.
Why is everything that I love in this world so bad for my health? This even includes Kris and Saya...it seems that their missions in life are to destroy me through sleep deprivation. With Saya, you know, it's that whole baby thing. And with Kris, you know, he just keeps me up ALL NIGHT LONG....
...watching 30 Rock...heh...yeah...

Kind of Vegas-tacky in an awesome way, complete with this tasteful and understated statue (notice Saya's stroller in the foreground for scale?):

There was a lot of chillin' and reading in the hotel room (I love the lighting in this photo):

We had dinner one night at Monell's in historic German town. It was a lovely little house where we were served an unbelievably huge Southern meal - with about 15 different dishes - family style around a large table. I ate so much I felt like I was going to toss my cookies afterward.

The fun part is that you're seated at the table with other diners, and enjoy all the food together. It was fun and interesting, but made for some awkward moments...like when one of our dining companions tried to bond with Kris by asking him whether he likes to hunt and fish "competitively." Kris was like, "no, not really." The guy was like, "Oh. Well, that's what I do for a living." Then we were like "OH!!! COOL!!!" And tried to act excited and interested.
Friday brought dinner with the IREPP crowd at The Mad Platter, where we toasted Imeh's 30th birthday:

And I ate a duck confit salad, lamb prepared two ways (as osso bucco and chops) and this amazing seared pork belly, which was sent to me from pork fat heaven:

Oh, yes.
Speaking of pork fat, Marsha made us some candied bacon ice cream from a David Lebovitz recipe. Oh. My. God. THIS IS HEAVEN. If you think it sounds gross, don't knock it 'til you try it. It's my new most favorite comfort food in the world...salty, sweet, crunchy, creamy.
Why is everything that I love in this world so bad for my health? This even includes Kris and Saya...it seems that their missions in life are to destroy me through sleep deprivation. With Saya, you know, it's that whole baby thing. And with Kris, you know, he just keeps me up ALL NIGHT LONG....
...watching 30 Rock...heh...yeah...
how the hell do you eat like that and stay so skinny?! I LOOK at a carb and gain another ass.
looks like a lot of fun - the statue pic was super cute. :)
Posted by
Mishy |
March 25, 2009 at 1:32 PM