« Home | BRIBES...FOOD...DEADLINES » | Ten things to appreciate about Bloomington » | Weird Indiana » | Academic Pursuits and the Need for a Brown Paper Bag » | Out with the Old, In with the New » | Daphna's Defense » | Moving In » | California Academy of Sciences » | Family Photo Shoot » | It Was a Good Day »

BRIBES...FOOD...DEADLINES...EPISODE 1

On this first episode of "Bribes...Food...Deadlines" (BFD):

First, let me thank Maryn, Michelle and Anita for offering gifts if we finish our revisions. This is like high stakes testing now. I feel so motivated!

So, how did it go today?

Let's see. This morning, it appeared that all forces were conspiring against the R&R. You will probably think I'm making this up, but I swear, this is what ACTUALLY happened:
  1. Major thunderstorm last night: thunder, lightening, the works.
  2. Electricity went out.
  3. Alarm didn't go off.
  4. Woke up at 8 a.m. (instead of 7 a.m.). It was still pitch black outside and raining cats and dogs.
  5. Briefly panicked that I wouldn't be able to get to the office by 9 a.m. to IM Daphna and start the work session.
  6. Saya poo explosion. She rarely has one of these. It was so crazy, I was confused at first (plus I wasn't yet wearing my contacts). I was like, "what is this brown goop on her leg?" and stuck my finger into it. Oops.
  7. Poo is everywhere. Including on the lid of my Advil container, like two feet away. I don't know how that happened. It was gross. In my previous (i.e., pre-Saya) life, I would have probably disposed of a feces-covered canister of Advil. Now I just use a wipe and call it a day.
  8. We finally make it into the car at around 9 a.m.
  9. Crazy traffic because the bypass flooded.
  10. Drive through Starbucks.
  11. Drop by Saya's daycare. I realize there are actually two brown spots on my jeans (coffee? poo? some ubiquitous midwestern mulch?) but I don't care. It's time for R&R.
  12. I go into the office anyway, and IM Daphna at approximately 9:30ish.
Poor Daphna spent the day revising an IES budget while trying to fit in and prioritize her R&R. And yes, there was a tear (or two) spilled.

My goal: spend three hours and revise a portion of the literature review. Done, done, and done! (My day was also sucked up into meetings and such, so getting three hours of solid writing time in was a big deal...for me.) Kris was kind enough to pick up Saya from daycare so I could have a bit more writing time.

This is how pathetic I am: I called Kris to inform him I'd done a whole three hours of writing (as in, the same thing he does every single day, except twice) and that I now deserved a giant steak.

Similarly, Daphna informed hubby Mike that he was to get steak and asparagus and bring them to her. On a platter.

My reward was the most delicious 28-oz. medium-rare Porterhouse steak imaginable at Janko's Little Zagreb. Porterhouses are fast becoming my favorite cut: you get ribeye PLUS filet, and a fun little bone in the middle (that's what she said). Yay!

I was feeling like crap by the end of the day (I got super sick over the weekend, possibly from eating a gross restaurant, but more likely from Saya's daycare), and was starting to seriously feel terrible, but the steak was so good, it cured me. Yes! Steak is magical! And it was all the more sweet since I felt like I earned it.

On the next episode of D&A's BFD: Will Daphna be forced to learn multiple imputation? Will Ashlyn adequately review the literature on residential sorting and race? How many packs of gum will be consumed? And what will happen to their hygiene?

OHMIGOSH, I LOVE BFD!!!! I will try to think of something good to send you to thank you for this magically delicious entertainment (if and only if you finish!). But only if you ALSO post blog updates on the progress everyday.

And, personally, I think 3 hours of writing time is a good day.

The problem is... what to send? Chocolate melts. Daphna has the world's best sandwich in C'ville. I'll keep thinking... Y'all keep writing (and blogging!).

28 oz....my god, where do you put it? (That's what she said!)

BTW, I think that sounds like a pretty productive day.

Post a Comment

Archives