The Small Fry Visits the Big Apple
This is my first post, mainly because I enjoy Kris's writing so much that I don't want to ruin the blog's charm. But since I've been in New York City for eight days and I missed him terribly, I thought I'd post this as a surprise for him.
I flew to NYC on Sunday to attend the annual meeting of the American Education Research Association (AERA). Besides attending some cool sessions on school segregation, I was able to spend time with some great friends. I stayed with my fantastic friend Erin, who is now a rock star Assistant Professor at the University of Colorado at Boulder. We gallavanted around town with our dear friend Marsha, and were joined for a night by Gayle, who basically only came to present her paper at AERA because we scored Babbo reservations (a girl's gotta have her priorities, right)?!?! We also had the pleasure of hanging out with Dave, Erin's husband, who flew in from Berlin. It was a great AERA trip, with some key culinary highlights:
1. Trying to locate the best cupcakes in NYC with Marsha
2. Eating a pork bun at Momofuku
3. Discovering the best pizza I've ever had at a random place in Times Square. The crust was crispy and beautiful!
Pork buns and ramen at Momofuku:


I also had cocktails with my too-fabulous-for-words friend, Saimah, who is interning with Zac Posen. How cool is that?
After a few days in Times Square, I moved my luggage to Camilla and Ramon's place in the Bronx. Camilla was my first roommate ever! We lived together during a summer program at Harvard. We managed to also visit my friend Ed in New Haven, who is a fancy schmancy economics professor at Yale. We had a fantastic time hanging out together.
Here are some pictures of Ed's new condo in New Haven, which used to be a church bell tower!


Many thanks to Erin, Camilla, Ramon and Ed for hosting me!

I flew to NYC on Sunday to attend the annual meeting of the American Education Research Association (AERA). Besides attending some cool sessions on school segregation, I was able to spend time with some great friends. I stayed with my fantastic friend Erin, who is now a rock star Assistant Professor at the University of Colorado at Boulder. We gallavanted around town with our dear friend Marsha, and were joined for a night by Gayle, who basically only came to present her paper at AERA because we scored Babbo reservations (a girl's gotta have her priorities, right)?!?! We also had the pleasure of hanging out with Dave, Erin's husband, who flew in from Berlin. It was a great AERA trip, with some key culinary highlights:
1. Trying to locate the best cupcakes in NYC with Marsha
2. Eating a pork bun at Momofuku
3. Discovering the best pizza I've ever had at a random place in Times Square. The crust was crispy and beautiful!
Pork buns and ramen at Momofuku:


I also had cocktails with my too-fabulous-for-words friend, Saimah, who is interning with Zac Posen. How cool is that?
After a few days in Times Square, I moved my luggage to Camilla and Ramon's place in the Bronx. Camilla was my first roommate ever! We lived together during a summer program at Harvard. We managed to also visit my friend Ed in New Haven, who is a fancy schmancy economics professor at Yale. We had a fantastic time hanging out together.
Here are some pictures of Ed's new condo in New Haven, which used to be a church bell tower!


Many thanks to Erin, Camilla, Ramon and Ed for hosting me!

Labels: Food, New York City
Wow, I'm impressed! Except for a few sideways pictures, you did a great job.
Not as funny as me though!
Posted by
Kris |
April 1, 2008 at 8:07 PM