« Home | Saya and Dad » | Extreme Makeover: Ashlyn Edition » | Happy Birthday, Gayle! » | Baby's First BART » | My Crazy Uncle Roger » | The End of Maternity Leave » | Some People are Rude and Bossy » | Saya at the Park » | A Day in the Park » | Oy. »

Dreaming of Vacation

I am kind of lame. I am a California native and have lived in California for 26 out of 27 years. Yet I know embarrassingly little about California and its surrounds. For example: I have never been to Yosemite. And I didn't make it to Vegas until I was 24 years old (I know, I am super super lame) and refused to gamble until my third trip, when I relented and gambled a total of $30 at a $5 blackjack table. Did I mention how lame I am?

I hadn't yet made it to Napa, either, until I finally went with Erin and Marsha earlier this year, and then went again with my family in May.

With our imminent move to Indiana, this is the year to be seriously committed to discovering the West Coast.

Here are some things on our to-do list. Do you have any suggestions?

Yosemite
I have never visited Yosemite. I would like to go hiking there. Maybe in fall to see the leaves change, or maybe in winter. I would love to take a backcountry ski tour like this one.

California Coast
I haven't gotten my fill of exploring along Highway 1. I'd love to return to Cambria and San Simeon and wind our way through Monterey and Carmel. I'd also like to go further up the coast, toward Humboldt. I've never been but I hear it's beautiful. (The one time I mentioned going up to Humboldt, my dad warned me that I could get shot if I went hiking and stumbled upon a marijuana plantation).

Tahoe
Kris loves to ski at Kirkwood. We need to go again and enjoy the fact that we have mountains in California. We are lucky to be going to Mammoth in December with my family! Kind of like last year.

The Beach
I want to spend more time hanging out in fun, funky little beach and coastal towns, shopping and eating my way through. Like Sausalito and Tiburon in Northern California, and Solana Beach in San Diego.

The Big Three: L.A., San Francisco and VEGAS, BABY!
I would like to go ALL OUT for a weekend in each place. Partying, eating, shopping, and living the good life with a gang of my close friends.

Mexico
I have never been to Mexico except for twice when I was about five years old and my dad did fifty-mile bike races from Rosarito to Ensenada. We get to go to Guanajuato for a week in December (Kris got a paper accepted to a conference there!) although as usual my dad is warning that we could get killed. I'd also like to explore some coastal towns in Mexico.

Hawaii/Kauai
OK. I know this is not exactly close. But Hawaii is much, much closer to California than to Indiana! I've never been to Kauai and would love to go.

Slightly North: Portland and Seattle
I've never been to either and hear they're cool. I'll take a weekend in each, please. I want to check out the coffee house and oyster scene in Seattle.

Slightly Further North: Lake Louise, Alberta
Kris and I were engaged on an incredibly romantic trip to Lake Louise in Alberta, Canada, located in Banff National Park. It was breathtakingly gorgeous. The food was amazing. And we didn't get enough time to explore the area and hike around. We would love to go back for a week.


Where do you want to go?

Yes, must get out there and see the State before you leave. People will ask you about this and that in California, and you won't know. My travel website covers many of these places, you should take a look. http://waterbottleweekends.com
Happy traveling.
Doreen

Post a Comment

Archives