« Home | Gmail ads » | Earthlings, resistance is futile » | Things I Have Heard Lately » | Jogging Bras » | My Man » | Another Spooky Thing: White Hair » | Happy Halloween! » | Unraveling » | Names and An Awkward Moment » | Why I Love My Dad »

Full Update

The last week and a half has been a crazy, exhausting logistical nightmare.

We flew to L.A. last Wednesday so I could attend APPAM. Flying with a baby totally sucks. You become the person you always hated on airplanes. Security screening is a nightmare, and the schlep factor is a level ten.

At the conference, I was a discussant on two panels - one of which I had not been notified about until one of the panelists sent me their paper at the eleventh hour (and each of the four papers on the panel was like 75 pages long). So on top of finishing my paper and having to do my PowerPoint deck, I also had to read seven technical research papers and come up with comments.

My poor mom tagged along with me...all day Thursday and all day Friday (my dad watched her on Saturday). She watched Saya so that I could breastfeed her in between sessions. It was totally crazy...but the conference was great! Here were the highlights:

1. I was a discussant on really cool panels on trends in housing segregation and on student achievement and school segregation.
2. There were a bunch of people from Indiana and I was super schmoozy.
3. A discussant on one of the panels cited my research!
4. A guy whose research I've admired for a long time approached me and asked whether I would be interested in a research collaboration.
5. I met the new FDIC-appointed CEO of IndyMac and talked to him for about 10 minutes.
6. My presentation wasn't well-attended but it went well.

After three crazy days I was EXHAUSTED. With the baby in tow, I had to make choices during the break, like:
1. Do I breastfeed, or pee?
2. Do I get something to eat, or do I schmooze?
3. Do I get a drink of water, or check my email?

Plus I felt guilty for dragging Saya around downtown.

Of course, the best parts of the conference involved EATING. On Thursday, I met up with Nicole, a cool young Assistant Prof from Indiana (who I think will be my new BFF after our move) and we drove (with my mom AND Saya) to Sushi Zo (Marsha's recommendation), where Kris met up with us and picked up my mom and Saya (did I mention it was a logistical nightmare?)...factor in LA traffic and a screaming baby, and it was STRESSFUL.

But then, Nicole and I sat down to what was, hands down, the best sushi meal of my life. We had the omakase menu at the bar and basically gorged ourselves for two hours. The highlight was the uni. Definitely the foie gras of sushi!

Friday night, I ended the day with an amazing Korean BBQ dinner at Chosun Galbee with the folks from IREPP.

After the conference, I felt really really tired, but it was a good test for me. Although it was really tough dealing with Saya and the demands of academia, I left the conference feeling like I had managed it well...thanks to my family's help. I don't know what I'll do next April when I go to AEFA in Nashville...but for now, I feel happy and comfortable with my baby/career decision.

Archives