Baked Orecchiette with Pork Sugo
Kris and I are testing recipes from Food & Wine magazine's October 2008 issue.
In the last week, we've made these recipes:
1. Eggplant Parmesan: Smells heavenly, but we were kinda grossed out by the fact that the
fried eggplant absorbed a full TWO CUPS of olive oil. It's good but I don't think we'll make it again.
2. Lemon-Glazed Mini Pound Cakes: Good, but they don't keep well. The lemon glaze is really nice, but the pound cake is a bit dry. The cakes tasted a lot more dry the second day. If I'm craving a tart lemon dessert, I'd rather have a lemon tart.
We decided that these two recipes are decent, but not worth repeating. We wondered whether we should trust Food & Wine's recipes any more. And then we made:
3. Baked Orecchiette with Pork Sugo: Oh. My. Goodness. Forkfuls of ecstasy. Food & Wine's
reputation was rescued. The recipe takes FOREVER AND A DAY because you're braising
crispy bits of pork. But let me tell you. It is amazing. Perfect for a Sunday night meal...and the recipe makes a significant amount of food. Kris and I will happily eat this meal for three
consecutive dinners. We hope you will try it!

One note: If you choose to make the Pork Sugo, cooking the pork until golden brown will take longer than the recipe states. You will need to cook the pork and veggies under very high heat (rather than the medium-high heat called for in the recipe) to ensure the liquid burns off. That way, you get a nice crispy pork exterior.
Later this week we'll try the Lamb Tagine...I hope it's good!
In the last week, we've made these recipes:
1. Eggplant Parmesan: Smells heavenly, but we were kinda grossed out by the fact that the
fried eggplant absorbed a full TWO CUPS of olive oil. It's good but I don't think we'll make it again.
2. Lemon-Glazed Mini Pound Cakes: Good, but they don't keep well. The lemon glaze is really nice, but the pound cake is a bit dry. The cakes tasted a lot more dry the second day. If I'm craving a tart lemon dessert, I'd rather have a lemon tart.
We decided that these two recipes are decent, but not worth repeating. We wondered whether we should trust Food & Wine's recipes any more. And then we made:
3. Baked Orecchiette with Pork Sugo: Oh. My. Goodness. Forkfuls of ecstasy. Food & Wine's
reputation was rescued. The recipe takes FOREVER AND A DAY because you're braising
crispy bits of pork. But let me tell you. It is amazing. Perfect for a Sunday night meal...and the recipe makes a significant amount of food. Kris and I will happily eat this meal for three
consecutive dinners. We hope you will try it!

One note: If you choose to make the Pork Sugo, cooking the pork until golden brown will take longer than the recipe states. You will need to cook the pork and veggies under very high heat (rather than the medium-high heat called for in the recipe) to ensure the liquid burns off. That way, you get a nice crispy pork exterior.
Later this week we'll try the Lamb Tagine...I hope it's good!
Post a Comment