« Home | RC = 1 » | Dan birthed a meme! » | Setting the Bar a Little Lower » | Hope » | Monkey This Monkey That » | Let Me Tell You About Root Beer » | At Last » | Obama-fy Thyself » | Doin' it Greek Style » | Nie is Back »

A Lengthy Update Following A Lengthy Pause

I'd love to think that you care about my lengthy posting delay and that you missed my daily rantings. In case you do care, I apologize! Profusely! Busy was taken to a new level in the last two weeks.

Here is what happened:

A trip to the Milk Pail. If you live in the Peninsula and haven't been here, you are missing a phenomenal experience. Bake your own croissants and get gourmet imported cheese for $2.

Saya and I went to L.A./San Diego for four days last weekend. In L.A.:

I had two important, long meetings with people from the mortgage bank I'm working with for my research. We ironed out some important contract issues.

We visited Kris' mom and grandma.

We had a birthday dinner for my dad at Taleo Grill in Irvine. I had a delicious dish of caramelized carnitas. We gave my dad a webcam so he can videochat with Saya.

In San Diego:

I ran the Kathy Loper 10k Super Run last Saturday. I finished in 1 hour, 10 minutes...exactly when I thought I'd finish. I kept pace and ran the entire time. And I am not ashamed to say that I finished in 918th place (out of 1027). But I am ashamed to say that my almost-59-year-old dad, who did not train at all, finished before me! To be fair, my dad is, like, the most athletic person I know. But still. And I am so proud of my mom for walking the 5k and pushing Saya in her stroller!

I felt really good throughout the whole run. But then, the second I stopped, my body decided it wanted a "break" so I spent the weekend hobbling around like a broken woman. (Was my dad sore at all? Of course not!)

I took my battered body to a victory brunch at Cafe 976 in Pacific Beach. I really wanted to go there because I am a sucker for restaurants inside of little houses. But this place didn't bring out my sandwich until after my mom was done with hers. So maybe don't bother. It's a good thing I run, because I'm really chill about stuff like that nowadays. I think it's the endorphins.

I hung out with Miguel and Juliana in our hot tub and saw our family friends Laura, Nazy and Rosy. There was an awkward incident involving Saya smacking her lips upon seeing Juliana's bikini cleavage. Heh.

That night, Saya and I were privileged guests at Jenn's house where we met up with Daphna and Mike, who are moving to Virginia for their awesome new jobs (Daphna will be an Assistant Professor at the University of Virginia)! We had amazing food: guacamole and chips, steak, sausages, jalapeno burgers, and two different salads. And ice cream and brownies for dessert. It was awesome. The best part of the evening was the most amazing conversation. At some points I was near tears, I was laughing so hard. Thanks Jenn, Daphna, and Mike for a great evening!

Sunday brought brunch with Miguel and Juliana at the Broken Yolk Cafe in Carlsbad, where I devoured five pieces of French toast with strawberries, whipped cream, and six slices of bacon. Oh yeah, and a Grande White Mocha from Starbucks. Yesssss.

After a long drive back to L.A., we hopped on a plane and were back in Northern California...for all of two days. I had work, work, work and more work, lunch with Chienyo (where he totally diagnosed my knee issues - yay!), cleaning, six loads of laundry, tax return filing, and packing...and then, we boarded a plane to Bloomington on Wednesday. It was time to figure out housing and day care for next year, and to meet with our departments to discuss administrative stuff (office space, and lab space for Kris). We left our home early on Wednesday and finally arrived in Bloomington at 2 a.m. on Thursday morning.

Did I mention that it was 5 degrees below zero in Bloomington? And that the previous week had seen the biggest snowstorm in over a decade, prompting one of only two school closures in the last twenty years? That's why I freaked out the previous week and had this delivered to our doorstep in the nick of time to bring along on our trip:


This infant snow bunting cost $60. Was it worth it to use for one day on the trip? Yes. Was it cute? Yes. Did Saya hate it? Yes.

We returned home last night, completely exhausted. I realized I've averaged around five hours of sleep per night for the last two weeks. I feel like I'm on the verge of getting sick (although this did NOT stop me from going to dim sum with Marsha, Eileen and Demetra today to honor the last day of Chinese New Year).

The trip to Bloomington deserves its own post. Man, do I have stories for you...

Yay! Blog is back!! The bunting story was hilarious - I'm there with you with Trajan. And Cati's $50 UGG boots, which she both protests wearing AND has recently dragged through mud.
Looking forward to more posts, and sorry you're so tired!!!
AND...next time you're in L.A. you better tell me...I haven't seen you since your baby shower, girl!

Post a Comment

Archives