« Home | Wedding Countdown » | Nashville, IN » | Americana in Indiana » | Weaned & Walking » | Back in the Saddle » | Bloomington Farmer's Market » | Please Come Back » | Haiku » | Dinner with a Side of Feces » | BRIBES...FOOD...DEADLINES...EPISODE 5 »

Visions of Sugarplums

Saya is turning 1 in just a week! I can hardly believe it. I'm madly organizing two parties: one for our new friends here in Bloomington, and a blowout in L.A. on August 8th (those of you who live in L.A. and its surrounds should be receiving an invitation soon)!

The theme for Saya's party in L.A. is "Elevated Picnic." We will attempt to execute a modern, retro, chic picnic party at my parents' new house in Redondo Beach.

I was inspired by this image, featuring Martha Stewart's paper flower pom poms:


I just love the summery colors and festive, big blooms. Dahlias are my favorite flowers, and these big beauties really resemble the dahlias in full bloom at the Conservatory of Flowers in Golden Gate Park.

I'd love to make a bunch of these flowers and intersperse them with big white hanging lanterns.

I'm also planning to display the food and desserts on about 15 of Maryn's new glass cake stands.

I would really heart any recommendations or ideas you have for decor, menus, drinks, etc.!

P.S. I just sent out the best-ever electronic invitations for our casual Bloomington celebration using Paperless Post. What a great find! See Design Mom's post about them here. I'm really happy with the product. The invitations are infinitely more elegant than Evite.

They have a few kinks to work out (some of the colors and options don't display correctly on the invitation), but it's a great service.

What a beautiful idea!!! I also love dahlias, but I love the deep dark purple ones and the dark red ones. :) Anyways, need any help making these things or food? What can I bring!

oh man! I just booked a ticket to CA, but Aug 8th i'll be in NYC =( how long are you guys going to be in CA? I'll be in LA the long weekend (labor day) if you guys are going to be back?

Hey, Babes--

As you know, my recent baking has all been very smitten kitchen- centric. So I can HIGHLY recommend her: chocolate peanut butter cake (very rich), beer & whiskey cupcakes (very rich and not for kiddies), "baked" brownies (the spicy ones) and nectarine, gingersnap and mascarpone tart (YUM!). Also, check out my facebook wall -- a few people posted dessert suggestions there.

Post a Comment

Archives