« Home | Chronicle of Saya, Part 3: Deliverance » | Paula Deen is Trying to Kill Us, Part Deux » | Paula Deen is Trying to Kill Us » | Saya, the Android Robot Receptionist » | Chubalicious » | McCain would rather lose his integrity than lose t... » | Anita's Last Supper » | Dreaming of Vacation » | Saya and Dad » | Extreme Makeover: Ashlyn Edition »

Best Date Ever

Both sets of our parents were in town this weekend. My in-laws came up (with Kris's grandma in tow) to drop off Richard for his freshman year at UC Davis. My parents came up to visit the baby. It was a great weekend. One of the big highlights for me and Kris was when my parents came over this morning at 9 a.m. and took care of Saya while we slept until noon. Pure Bliss!

Saya has been especially giggly and happy lately, and is cooing a ton:


The other highlight: My mom babysitting tonight so that Kris and I could go on our first date since the baby was born. We picked somewhere close - and were gone for a total of only two hours. But it was so luxurious being by ourselves. We were so excited and savored every moment. I know it may sound sad that we were so excited for alone time. But honestly, it's nice to have a feeling of utter gratitude for something we used to take for granted.


At Evvia, we ordered an amazing grilled octopus appetizer (light and fresh, with a lemony zest), saghanaki, and a fantastic tomato salad. For our main course, I ordered lamb and Kris ordered the grilled aged rib eye steak. Our dessert was amazing: galaktoboureko. It's phyllo wrapped around vanilla bean custard, served with pistachio ice cream. Heaven!


Kris and I flirted the whole time. We got tipsy. We told the waiter how we were out for the first time since baby. He brought us our dessert with a candle in it, and said "Happy Freedom Day!" After, we made out by our Civic.

Also. This other crazy thing happened. As we are eating, another couple sits down next to us. And then I recognize the man. OMG. My heart stops. PAUL FREAKING MILGROM. Like, SUPER FAMOUS ECONOMIST. I immediately get all flushed and distracted. I whisper feverishly to Kris: "I think that's a super famous economist!" I then remember that I have my camera in my purse. I whisper some more to Kris: "Do you think it's weird if I ask to take my picture with him?" Kris nods his head YES emphatically. Very emphatically.

I turn to Paul Milgrom. "Um? Excuse me? Are you Paul Milgrom?"

Paul Milgrom looks at me. "Yes, I am!"

Kris gives me a LOOK. I continue on, pretending not to notice.

"Sorry to bother you, I just have a fascination with famous economists...They're like celebrities to me...I just couldn't concentrate on dinner until I said hi..."

Paul Milgrom looks quizzically at me. I babble on...

"I once accosted Ronald Coase at a conference because I was so excited to meet him..."

Paul Milgrom humors me. He asks who I am and I (stupidly) tell him I am an education student who once took courses in the econ department, but that I felt badly because I was one of the education students who didn't know what they were doing, and who probably gave a bad name to other education students taking courses in economics. He smiles indulgently and goes back to eating his dinner.

Five minutes later, I still can't concentrate. I feel my hand reaching into my purse for my digital camera. I clear my throat again and ask "Um, excuse me, do you mind taking a picture with me?" I obviously have no self control:


I can only hope that Paul Milgrom was charmed rather than annoyed by this interaction. I somehow doubt that economists get recognized by their groupies in restaurants, and given the full paparazzi treatment.

Trust me, I made it up to Kris later. It ended up being a very, very romantic evening.

you know I love you, but your a dork, ash. :P you guys look so cute in the pics.

Greatest. Picture. Ever. Ashlyn looks star-struck (and a liitttle drunk) and Paul Milgrom looks like this is the funniest/ strangest thing that ever happened to him.

heh. your dinner sounds like mine last night at Mia Dona here in NYC. great grilled octopus, (flavorful and tender) with nice poached olives. And then house made fetuccine with raised lamb shoulder and fava beans.

Congratulations to you as well. gayle mentioned the baby.

And yeah, I used to get star struck as well (i remember wanting to ask David Kreps to autograph my textbook). but after a while, these stars become colleagues and you get over it.

yeah, as far as economists go, milgrom's probably the most famous unknown economist (no nobel prize, but most expect he will get one, and doesn't really do popular books or tv shows, but yeah, huge in the profession). i have a co-author who took his undergrad class, and said she had no idea at the time how big a deal he is/was.

but you're far too modest. far more than just an education student.

and book club was certainly a treasured part of my stanford experience. funny, i don't think we read a single book.

Post a Comment

Archives