« Home | Turkey Day Update, Two Weeks Late » | Birthday Update » | A Note from Special K » | Weekend Update » | @ 4.5 Mos. » | A Visit with Camilla » | A Tale of Two Foie Gras & Other Stories » | Love Letter from Back at the Ranch » | Speed & Astronaut Love Triangles » | Yes, This Was Our Wedding »

Run With Me

I am now officially obsessed with running. I love it. I mean, I don't looove it while I'm doing it...it's definitely sweaty and painful. But I feel so great afterward. I feel proud of myself right after finishing a run, and I swear the endorphins last all day!

After the first 5k I ran a few weekends ago, I ran the Torrance Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot 5k while pushing Saya in her stroller. It was great! I felt awesome after. I finished in 36 minutes exactly. A little slower than my initial non-stroller 5k time. But I actually think I ran faster on Thanksgiving...it's just that there were so many people, I couldn't really start jogging until a quarter mile into the race, because the lanes were full of people and I couldn't maneuver past them with the stroller. (As an aside...I've never seen so many hapa kids in my life as I did at that Turkey Trot. I felt right at home!)

For my early Christmas present and as a reward for finishing the 5k training, Kris bought me these New Balance running shoes, with arch support inserts AND an iPod armband. They are heaven. And for $140, you too can enter the pearly gates. I didn't know what I was missing before I wore these shoes. I'd had my prior running shoes for - umm - ten years, if you can believe that. So, needless to say, they were worn out. I told my dad it was like eating SPAM for ten years and then having a filet mignon. It was a night-and-day difference.

Anyway, I highly recommend buying shoes at a New Balance store. They have an awesome staff...super friendly and helpful, and they analyze how you walk, take all sorts of foot measurements, look at your arches, and make sure your fit is podiatrist-approved. I ended up buying shoes a full size up from what I normally wear, because I didn't realize there is supposed to be a full fingertip width at the front of your shoe. Now it makes sense why my toenail beds hurt after running in my old, too-small shoes. Heh.

Of course I bought the pink running shoes. And of course Kris said "Of course the pink ones are gonna fit you better, just because you NEED the pink shoes to fit you better." Of course!

Now I've started training for a 10k, which I plan to run on Saturday, January 31 in San Diego...one of the only places holding a 10k in California next month. There aren't a lot of 10k's (it's a weird race length, apparently). So because my training schedule ends that day, I thought...what the heck? I'll just go down to San Diego! I'm planning to run this race. If you are in the O.C. or San Diego area, will you consider running with me? So far I have three friends up here training for it (they're not going to San Diego, but they are still training). Kris and my dad might try to run it with me. And Miguel is definitely on board.

Come run with us!

If you're a novice runner, try the 9 week Couch-to-5k training program. The training schedule is here. And you can download nice world music podcasts to go along with the training schedule here, or download rap/hip hop podcasts here.

To train for the 10k, I'm modifying the training program for this 13 week Couch-to-10k training program (which Daphna did a few years ago). I thought a 13 week program would be too short, and I'm afraid of injuring my knees, so after finishing the Couch-to-5k program, I decided to start from week 5 of the Couch-to-10k program. So all-in, I'm spending a total of 9 additional weeks to train from going from a 5k to a 10k. I'm in the middle of week 6 of the 13 week Couch-to-10k program right now...make sense?

Leave a comment if you're on board with joining us for the 10k! If we have enough folks participating, I'll plan a fun, beer-fueled lunch after or something.

Wow. I'm almost tempted. Almost. I'm scared. I'm a notoriously bad runner, have asthma, a huge ass...the obstacles are endless, but you're an inspiration. I dunno... I'm afraid to do it and take like 5 hours to complete...

I dunno why I ended up anonymous...but that's me (Michelle). maybe it's a sign?!!

No way I'm running a 10K but I'll absolutely toast you afterward!!!

ditto what jenn said... no on running endlessly... yes on hanging out while you're here. yay!

Post a Comment

Archives