« Home | Le Plan 2.0 » | Saya: What's in a Name? » | Signal to noise » | I am a Levite » | To Hell in a Handbasket Woven by Economists » | A Summary of the Last Six Months » | Brains AND Boobs » | Life is Just a Little Chair of Bowlies » | April Fools! » | How Did this Happen? »

Cheers to Marsha!


Marsha is often a subject of the blog posts, not only because of her fabulous dessert offerings, but because she is truly one of the most wonderful people I know. She has a heart of gold. Erin once described her as "ALL good"...and it's true. She is selfless, beyond generous, hilarious, a total genius, and an amazing resource for all things lifestyle related.

The only downside of being friends with Marsha is that she has absolutely impeccable taste, in basically everything. So, after being exposed to her preferences in everything - ranging from fashion to furniture to ceramic dishware to art to architecture to restaurants to all things pastry - I am no longer satisfied with the mediocre. Things that used to fulfill me no longer do so. For example, after tasting her brownies, I decided that no other brownies could ever compare. Now, I am officially Way Too Snobby for Other People's Brownies and - get this - turn them down. (Am I down with O.P.P.? Yeah you know me! Am I down with O.P.B.? Um, no.) I now refer to Marsha as my personal "TasteMaker" through whom all lifestyle decisions must be vetted. A typical conversation goes like this:

Me: I really like this yellow couch! Do you?
Marsha: I'm so glad that you like it!
Me (pressing): But, do YOU like it? Would YOU buy it?
Marsha: I would buy it in white.
Me: I hate the yellow. I love the white.
Marsha: But...you should buy what you love!
Me: I only love what you love.

The TasteMaker has had a running love affair with L.A. and all it offers: fabulous restaurants and food, amazing cultural activities, and hip hop yoga. Which is why, when faced with two stunning offers for professorships at Johns Hopkins and UC Riverside, she decided she could not make the move away from her beloved California. Did I mention how hard the academic job market was this year? And how much of a rock star Marsha is for scoring a UC job, especially in this economy?

We had to celebrate. So The TasteMaker spent the day with me and Eileen, soaking up the sunshine on an unusually bright and beautiful San Francisco day. After taking BART, we arrived at Heaven's Dog, Charles Pham's (of Slanted Door fame) latest venture in SoMa. I was very excited by the restaurant's concept, thinking it would be similar to Manhattan's Momofuku. Indeed, both places serve pork buns, noodles, and cocktails.

We started off with some cocktails. I had a really nice Biarritz Monk Buck made with Tarriquet 8 year Armagnac, yellow Chartreuse, organic ginger, lemon, and soda.


Then we ordered:

  1. Braised pork belly in clam shell buns with scallions
  2. Vegetarian "pork belly", tofu skin, shitake mushrooms, clam shell bun, scallions
  3. Shanghai dumplings, pork, rice vinegar, scallions
  4. Niman Ranch pork omelet, Chinese chives
  5. Salt & pepper squid, ginger, red peppers
  6. Rice vermicelli stir fry, Niman Ranch pork shoulder, shrimp, yellow curry

Here is our mini restaurant review: We all decided that the pork buns were good, but nowhere in Momofuku's league (sigh). We'd go back for happy hour cocktails and more pork buns and dumplings, but not for dinner. The mains were not very good or well thought out.

Next we walked to Hayes Valley for a day of delightful boutique shopping and more snacking. I was so excited to find out that Blue Bottle Coffee has a new outpost in a Hayes Valley alleyway. I think it's the best coffee in the City. We also perused the delights at Miette Confiserie (where it seriously only took about 20 seconds before a homeless guy tried to steal my stroller - gotta love SF!), snacked on garlic fries with truffled ketchup at Frjtz Gourmet Belgian Fries, and sampled French macarons (never to be confused with the vastly less elegant macaroons) at the ridiculously good Paulette Macarons. Seriously, so good, and so elegant. These are the hands-down pick for Maryn's bridal shower favors.

What better way to toast the TasteMaker's success than with a fabulous day in the City?!

CONGRATULATIONS MARSHA!

The man in charge of the cocktails at Momofuku is an old high school friend of Chris's.

http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2009/04/momofuku-cocktail-bar-inside-ssam-bar-nyc-don-lee.html

Marsha rocks!!!

Yay for Marsha, my "hopefully-soon-to-be-neighbor-with-a-cute-dog-and-passion-for-brunch!"

Post a Comment

Archives