« Home | Saya: What's in a Name? » | Signal to noise » | I am a Levite » | To Hell in a Handbasket Woven by Economists » | A Summary of the Last Six Months » | Brains AND Boobs » | Life is Just a Little Chair of Bowlies » | April Fools! » | How Did this Happen? » | Victory! »

Le Plan 2.0

There is a lot of talk in the Heusen household, and often not a lot of walk. Grand plans, hare-brained schemes, and lofty goals often bend to the mighty wills of the gods of Laziness, Giving Up Because The Plan Was Too Ambitious, and Whoops I Conveniently Forgot About That Goal Because I'm Sleepy.

You may remember that we planned a trip to Vancouver a few months ago. We thought we were so cool, paying for our expensive, non-refundable airline tickets with American Express rewards points. We were supposed to leave for a week-long trip today. But: take one overly stressful trip to Nashville, combine with overcommitments from work, blend with a baby, and you get the following conversation, hot and fresh out the kitchen:

Kris: I don't want to go to Canada anymore. It's going to be too stressful. We'll be dragging our laptops everywhere, stressing about work and unable to relax. Between that and taking care of Saya, we're not going to enjoy ourselves.
Me (totally crestfallen): You better make this up to me.
Kris: Why don't we go to L.A. instead? We can stay with our parents, have free babysitting while we work, and go out on dates at ridiculously expensive restaurants.
Me (not batting an eye): OK!

So, we canceled our flights and started making dinner reservations. The plan is to leave early tomorrow morning for a weekend-long drive down the California coast, arriving in L.A. on Sunday for Easter dinner at my parents' house. We'll spend the week working and eating out at fabulous restaurants, sans bebe, and cap it off with a weekend in Carlsbad with Erin, Dave, and Marsha, who will be in San Diego for AERA.

In honor of our upcoming foodie extravaganza, I leave you with the following:

I am very, very into salty-sweet food combinations. After Marsha made bacon ice cream, she made us this heavenly chocolate ice cream, from a David Lebovitz recipe using agave as a sweetener. It's not overly rich - it's more like a beautiful sorbet with a creamy texture. It is heavenly with some Maldon sea salt sprinkled on top:


I waxed philosophical on the bacon ice cream and the chocolate-sea salt combination to Ed (coauthor, economist extraordinaire, and one of my favorite people in the world), who then told me about his favorite, expensive brand of chocolate, Vosges, which makes a bacon chocolate bar. I told him this sounded like the promised land.

A few days later, I arrived at my office to find a package from Ed containing the following:


From left to right: A Vosges truffle sampler, a curry chocolate bar, and a bacon chocolate bar. Here is a closeup of the beautiful truffles:


Ed is seriously, like, one of the sweetest people I know. It was one of those gifts that was so unexpected, and thoughtful, and sweet, and generous, and whimsical. Totally made my week.

The bacon chocolate was heavenly. And I must admit that I was scared of the curried chocolate, but found that it was very interesting, and quite rich. I've been rationing the chocolate and trying to only eat one piece at a time so it lasts as long as possible!

Archives