« Home | Undecideds » | Proposition 8 » | Itazura! » | Maryn and Brian's Last Supper » | Sleep Deprivation » | Go Bears! » | Various and Sundry » | Should This Bother Me? » | Manpoo and Manniversaries » | A Brief History of My Dating Life: Part 1 »

Things I Try Not to Think About

There are a few things I try not to think about. Otherwise I start obsessing and they drive me crazy.

Everyone is a little OCD about a few things. I am totally OCD about cleaning my ears and bellybutton. I know, it's weird. I clean my ears every day with a Q-Tip. And when I shower, I spend a lot of time making sure that all the nooks and crannies in my ears are squeaky clean.

A few months after I first met Kris, he told me about a "weirdo" friend of his who obsessively cleaned his ears every day. In a small voice I asked "what's wrong with that?"

Last year, I somehow became convinced that maybe I had some earwax deep down in my ear. I blame this on Oprah, because she had Dr. Oz on as a guest and he said that using a Q-Tip would actually pack all the earwax down into your ear. So I had a doctor check on it during my annual physical. She said I had absolutely no wax at all in either ear. So I was relieved.

The other thing I should mention is that the concept of ear coning is extremely appealing to an ear-obsesser like me. However, I have determined (after extensive online research) that sticking a cone into your ear and lighting it on fire does not actually (as claimed by some websites) "suck out the impurities that are attached to the neurons in your ear."

Onward.

My bellybutton is, unfortunately, a black hole. Kris has already elaborated about it in an earlier post. But let me explain. I have never seen the bottom of my bellybutton...not even when I was nine months pregnant. Think about that. Isn't it kind of creepy...to not know where the bottom is? On top of that, it feels weird if you poke it, making bellybutton explorations even more creepy and weird. Because I could never see the bottom, I've been obsessed with keeping it clean. I always kinda dig around in there with a Q-tip, even though it feels creepy and weird.

My bellybutton got even more weird after I had an appendectomy, where the surgery is performed through the bellybutton. Now it is a scarred bottomless pit. While I was pregnant, I found this little black thing in it and couldn't get it out. It was deep, deep, deep in my bellybutton. And I obsessed over it for days because I couldn't figure out how to get it out. Finally I got it out. I won't disclose the method I used (gross) or what I found (gross) but let's just say that it sufficiently grossed out a few people (although, to Marsha's credit, she "really enjoyed" the story). Now my bellybutton is even deeper than before. Agggghhhh!

Now I am experiencing OCD by proxy. I am obsessing over Saya's ears and bellybutton. Part of me feels justified because of my ape roots. My logic goes like this: "Oh, I'm not a weirdo! I'm just giving into the natural tendencies of our ape predecessors to pick and pick and pick at things!" Other times I just feel bad for her.

Part of the problem is that babies do seem to have a lot of earwax. And I stare directly down into her earholes when she is breastfeeding...like eight times a day. She used to have this little whitehead thing in one of her ears and I swear...it was all I could do not to try to poke at it until it went away. Kris tells me not to worry about her ears because they are "self-cleaning"...but if they are, then why the heck is there all that wax?

Also...there is umbilical residue in her bellybutton still. Apparently, it's not ready to come out. Because...I've tried to get it out. And it is like "hell no, we won't go." I would like to mention that I do not keep picking when Saya expresses discomfort. What do you think I am, a monster?

I try not to think about these things too much. Because it (1) makes me think about it even more and (2) makes me think I am just a little bit crazy.

Please leave me a comment and tell me how you're crazy too.

I actually talked to my doctor about the earwax thing, once. She said earwax is only an issue if so much of it builds up that you have trouble hearing, which basically never happens. Then she told me that I should really, really, really stop using a Q-tip every day. I've managed to cut down substantially. But I'd say leave poor Saya's alone -- no need to pass your crazy *directly* to her -- maybe let her pick it up on her own, you know?

As you might have noticed I have the same crazy ear obsession - then i saw a specialist and found out i actually have a skin condition in my ear for which there is a cure, but refrigeration is required (doesn't work so well when you're traveling in Africa)...Maybe you have a similar condition? Anyway, I do think it's good to let saya WAX ON because otherwise she might be more susceptible to ear infections, at that young an age it call lead to deafness...have a shown you my wicked scar from childhood ear issues? Remind me when I see you next...

WHAT EXACTLY WAS IN YOUR BELLY BUTTON? WHAT WAS THIS BLACK, FOREIGN OBJECT? You know I'm going to get to the root of this. I'm your sister and we do not keep secrets!

You just wrote a page long post about your obsession with ear wax... Worse yet, I just read your page long post about ear wax.

I have two conclusions after this read. One, I'm bored as fuck. Two, you're a nut case.

Love,
Miguel

I asked people to comment about how they're crazy TOO. NOT about how crazy I am. Harumph.

ears and cuticles.

I forgot...and eyebrows...I'm obsessed with having meticulously crafted eyebrows...

Post a Comment

Archives