« Home | Calendar of Events: Goodbye Bay Area » | A Tad Sad » | Osteria Mozzagasm » | A Lot of Updates. Let's Start with Easter! » | A Weekend to Chillax » | This is the Age of Aquariums » | Cheers to Marsha! » | Le Plan 2.0 » | Saya: What's in a Name? » | Signal to noise »

Another Annoying Article About Breastfeeding

I just read this CNN article, titled "Breast-feeding may protect mom's heart after menopause." It almost seems like there's a conspiracy in the medical community to tout the benefits of breastfeeding, no matter how small.

Here's one quote from the article: "Calling the findings "dramatic and persuasive," Edward R. Newton, M.D., a professor and chair of obstetrics and gynecology at East Carolina University in Greenville, North Carolina, stresses that "it is imperative that health care providers and our society support and educate women concerning the maternal benefits of prolonged breast-feeding as well as the documented benefits of breast-feeding for the children."

So...what exactly are these "dramatic" maternal benefits? Let's take a look at the findings:

"Among women who breast-feed for more than one year, the researchers estimate that 38.6 percent will develop high blood pressure, 12.3 percent high cholesterol and 9.1 percent cardiovascular disease. In comparison, 42.1 percent of women who don't breast-feed may develop high blood pressure, 14.8 percent high cholesterol, and 9.9 percent cardiovascular disease."

So...let me get this straight. In a non-causal, completely correlational study, we see that breastfeeding FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR OR MORE is associated with a 0.8 percentage point decrease in the risk of developing cardiovascular disease? Who freaking cares!?! And who knows whether they even controlled for mother's lifestyle factors (eating habits/education/socioeconomic status) properly to obtain these results.

Um...does anyone else feel (like me and Nicole) that they're sick of how these studies are being blown out of proportion and used to control women's bodies and lives?

You know, it's funny... I came across this link yesterday:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/xxfactor/archive/2009/04/22/more-dubious-reasons-to-breast-feed.aspx

And I didn't send it, cause I was all "Ashlyn's going to think I'm insane and WAY too obsessed with boobs." I'm glad to see you're just as up in arms as always :)

I think there is a conspiracy backed by the various breast pump companies and lactation consultants that charge $100+ an hour....

Correlation does not mean causationl.. they should teach this as part of a mandatory curriculum.

forget about breastfeeding, just drink some wine everyday, it reduces the risk of heart disease a lot more!

oy..."do this, don't do that"...where does it end? I agree w/ Anita...glass of wine will take care of the ol' hear JUST fine.

psssttt...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/xxfactor/archive/2009/04/23/breast-feed-more-earn-less.aspx

The first mistake was reading anything on CNN...they've totally turned into socio-cultural terrorist. I havent seen an article or piece from them that wasnt "overblown".

Post a Comment

Archives