Happy Birthday Chienyo!
Today is Chienyo's birthday. This is Chienyo:

Dear Chienyo,
Dude! WTF. I seriously don't have enough pictures of you because I had to Google Image search you to get this. And then I was like "Is that a CIGARETTE in your hand?!?!" Because just when you think you know someone well, sometimes they surprise you. I would consider you to be a "bosom buddy" but had no idea you ever smoked. Ever. (To be fair, this could be, like, a piece of chalk you're using to teach Econ 1.) Please clarify.
Love, Ashlyn
Anyway, if you click this link, you will see that Chienyo is a Machine. By that, I mean that he has run marathons and done an IRON MAN. Whaaa?!?! But he is modest enough to be one of those people who claims that "anyone" can do an Iron Man.
Chienyo is one of my favorite people in the world. I met him in 2001, when we joined the Asian American Graduate Student Association Book Club together, because - as I'm sure you know - that's what all the cool kids do. Some of my favorite memories with Chienyo (in addition to the long hours spent gossiping about other Book Club members) are: Chienyo's 30th birthday party, the drunken trip to Carlsbad, and Chienyo's love affair with my mom (he is the only person I know who will indulge my mom in an hour long conversation about Japanese dishes...bless his soul). And he is just one of those people that you can always count on to listen to you and comfort you when you've had a bad day.
In honor of his birthday, here is a little acronym:
C is for Caring. And Cigarettes, apparently.
H is for Huggable and Hello Kitty (Chienyo's favorite)
I is for Iron Man
E is for Empathetic
N is for Neurotic (cannot throw away the wine from his brother's wedding...which was a million years ago) and Neeraj's B.F.F.
Y is for yellow (Asian pride!)
O is for Oops! I got drunk and passed out at Kris and Ashlyn's wedding! And then walked into the wrong apartment!
Love you Chienyo!!! Sorry that your fabulous birthday dinner tonight devolved into being slobbered on by Saya...I had higher hopes...but what can I say? The girl loves a man in glasses. Especially one with an iPhone.
P.S. I just had a funny memory of my last tango with Chienyo and Google Image search. Once, when I was selling my soul to the devil in banking (circa 2004), I had a boss who was trying to recruit some economics grad students for consulting work. I suggested Chienyo. My boss then decided to do a little Google Image searching. Five minutes later, my boss asked me "What race is he?" Shocked, I was like "He's Chinese, not that that's an appropriate question to ask!" Then my boss dropped his voice down to a whisper and said "But...he's so...dark! Like...him!" and then pointed to my Nepalese co-worker.
Shocking? Yes! Yet par for the course in my private sector experience!

Dear Chienyo,
Dude! WTF. I seriously don't have enough pictures of you because I had to Google Image search you to get this. And then I was like "Is that a CIGARETTE in your hand?!?!" Because just when you think you know someone well, sometimes they surprise you. I would consider you to be a "bosom buddy" but had no idea you ever smoked. Ever. (To be fair, this could be, like, a piece of chalk you're using to teach Econ 1.) Please clarify.
Love, Ashlyn
Anyway, if you click this link, you will see that Chienyo is a Machine. By that, I mean that he has run marathons and done an IRON MAN. Whaaa?!?! But he is modest enough to be one of those people who claims that "anyone" can do an Iron Man.
Chienyo is one of my favorite people in the world. I met him in 2001, when we joined the Asian American Graduate Student Association Book Club together, because - as I'm sure you know - that's what all the cool kids do. Some of my favorite memories with Chienyo (in addition to the long hours spent gossiping about other Book Club members) are: Chienyo's 30th birthday party, the drunken trip to Carlsbad, and Chienyo's love affair with my mom (he is the only person I know who will indulge my mom in an hour long conversation about Japanese dishes...bless his soul). And he is just one of those people that you can always count on to listen to you and comfort you when you've had a bad day.
In honor of his birthday, here is a little acronym:
C is for Caring. And Cigarettes, apparently.
H is for Huggable and Hello Kitty (Chienyo's favorite)
I is for Iron Man
E is for Empathetic
N is for Neurotic (cannot throw away the wine from his brother's wedding...which was a million years ago) and Neeraj's B.F.F.
Y is for yellow (Asian pride!)
O is for Oops! I got drunk and passed out at Kris and Ashlyn's wedding! And then walked into the wrong apartment!
Love you Chienyo!!! Sorry that your fabulous birthday dinner tonight devolved into being slobbered on by Saya...I had higher hopes...but what can I say? The girl loves a man in glasses. Especially one with an iPhone.
P.S. I just had a funny memory of my last tango with Chienyo and Google Image search. Once, when I was selling my soul to the devil in banking (circa 2004), I had a boss who was trying to recruit some economics grad students for consulting work. I suggested Chienyo. My boss then decided to do a little Google Image searching. Five minutes later, my boss asked me "What race is he?" Shocked, I was like "He's Chinese, not that that's an appropriate question to ask!" Then my boss dropped his voice down to a whisper and said "But...he's so...dark! Like...him!" and then pointed to my Nepalese co-worker.
Shocking? Yes! Yet par for the course in my private sector experience!
Post a Comment